The Digital Coach - Audience is a digital media professional who is responsible for coaching the Digital Audience team and freelancers to help shape news judgement and decisions made across digital products (such as decisions on content selection, content type, etc.).
The Digital Coach will also work with newsroom senior editors, advertising leads, the digital content manager and the outbound audience manager to ensure they are producing the content needed to drive engagement across our digital products and engagement products (such as emails, newsletters) and that they are responding to audience metrics and research.
He/she will coach staffers on how to meet the needs to our audiences in their topic area.
The ideal candidate has great digital news judgment, experience working with a content management system, newsroom or digital publication experience, and is detail-oriented yet capable of spotting bigger trends and themes. Candidates should demonstrate strong understanding of audience metrics and engagement tactics. This person reports to the Digital Content Manager is not a direct manager but indirectly manages the digital team and is a key leader in the group.
- Reviews digital products to ensure product features and functionality align with company goals/needs.
- Works with the digital audience team and content teams to develop platform-first approaches to storytelling.
- Is responsible for tracking and monitoring daily team metrics and revenue calculations and delivering metrics reports to department leadership.
- Also responsible for special metrics reports focused on specific content or projects.
- Responsible for working with Digital Audience leadership to execute special sections as needed.
- Works with digital content manager, content producers and freelancers on planning content to meet page view, SEO and engagement goals.
- Works with the national content desk to request stories for our sites and promote original stories for their consideration.
- Can independently problem solve as needed if technology malfunctions.
- Works closely with lead audience specialists to ensure distribution team has content need to execute and meet social goals.
- Assist in digital audience development of content strategy and ability to lead experimentation on team.
- Assist in leading the digital audience department through new CMS transition as well as any other production releases that the company may introduce.
- Offers editing and leadership support to the Digital Content Manager, and oversees work of freelancers in their assigned content from pitch to production. Able to handle high volume of content per day with varying levels of complexity.
- Handles any necessary training for the digital audience team. Works with them to identify team development opportunities.
- Offers any organizational and administrative assistance needed.
- Fills in for the digital content manager when needed.
- Uses editorial sensibility and data in tandem to iterate and refine both content strategy and execution in real time.
- In addition to working with newsroom content teams, collaborates and aligns projects regularly with News, Marketing, Advertising and other departments as needed (represents digital audience in meetings as directed by manager.)
- Strives to fully understand existing technology products to better facilitate ways to improve the site and the team’s work on the sites.
- Assists distribution team in execution of newsroom social media strategy.
- Consistently brainstorms, initiates and executes new content ideas to drive traffic.
- 5 or more years of newsroom or digital publication experience.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Strong news judgment and good understanding of what works with digital audiences.
- Experience thinking editorially across digital distribution channels. Ability to conceive content or refit content for different platforms (i.e. Snapchat, Facebook, video, email newsletter, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of audience and demonstrated ability to create content to meet audience needs across platforms.
- Strong ability to organize, analyze, interpret and disseminate information.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Aggressive mobile and desktop programming skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience shooting and editing video strongly preferred
- Experience delivering content in Web platforms
- Experience in CMS tools.
- Working knowledge of SEO.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Comfortable communicating with individuals at all levels within an organization, including individuals at other properties.
- Strong attention to detail and quality.
- Thorough knowledge of grammar, usage, spelling.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to newsroom needs.
- Experience coaching an editorial team is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or digital field
Cox Media Group is an integrated broadcasting, publishing, direct marketing and digital media company that includes the national advertising rep firms of CoxReps. Additionally, CMG owns Cox Target Media, which operates Valpak, one of North America's leading direct marketing companies, and Savings.com, a leading online source for savings.
The company's operations currently include 14 broadcast television stations and one local cable channel, more than 60 radio stations, six daily newspapers and more than a dozen non-daily publications, and more than 100 digital services.
CMG currently operates in more than 30 media markets and reaches approximately 52 million Americans weekly, including more than 31 million TV viewers, more than 3.5 million print and online newspaper readers, and 14 million radio listeners.
Cox Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
For more information about Cox Media Group, please check us out online at http://www.coxmediagroup.com
Organization:Cox Media Group
Primary Location:US-GA-Atlanta-223 Perimeter Center Pkwy NE
Job Level:Individual Contributor